Saturday, September 04, 2010

Our New House!

Kimberly and I have now moved in to our delightful cottage on Aquidneck Island. Hurrah!

Well perhaps I should rephrase that to say that pretty much all of our stuff is somewhere in our house. Whether it's out of its box or not is another matter...

But we're loving it so far! And now that the friendly Cox guy has come and gone, and the other friendly Cox guy has come and gone (yes, we were a two Cox guy home), we have internet and can inform the world of our joy!

We've had some wonderful moments already, first thisses and first thats, and it has inspired us to keep a little notebook of our favorite moments in our home.

The first entry will have to be that first time we toured the house, where we were awestruck from the beginning, and then erupted into squeals and shrieks upon seeing the spiral-ish stairs leading up to Kimberly's room.

The second entry will doubtless be our zucchini dinner last week. I remember it that way because that was the day I snatched from the fridge what I thought was a cucumber, peeled it, sliced it, and served it as our cold vegetable, only to figure out later that the reason it was the strangest, most tasteless cucumber in the world is that it was a zucchini. But that, while humorous, is not what will get this dinner into our little record.

Due (so I hear) to a water main break, the water on our island tastes distinctly earthy. I purchased a Brita filter to make sure we didn't die, but some of the earthiness makes it through the filter at times.

Kimberly and I sat down to dinner, and I took a nice, cool drink of... dirt-water. Ew. "This water tastes like dirt!" I exclaimed. "Hm," said Kimberly, unphased.

I ate some food and took another drink. "This water tastes like dirt!" I exclaimed. Original, I know. "Yeah, that's weird," Kimberly patiently responded.

Chomp chomp slurrrrp gulp. "This water tastes like dirt!" I exclaimed. "Andrea, if you say that water tastes like dirt one more time, I'm going to throw this water at you," Kimberly responded adamantly, pointing to her oversized blue plastic cup.

Sip. "This water... That's all I'm going to say," I smirked. We sat there at the table in a profound silence, both casually pretending that we weren't thinking of any next step. I toyed with the "cucumbers" while Kimberly quietly casually glanced out at the birds in the rhododendron bush and tightened her grip on her cup.

"TASTES LIKE DIRT!" I shrieked, while simultaneously leaping from the table. SPLOOSH! The water hit me before the word dirt was out of my mouth. She'd been anticipating my action before I'd even decided to take it.

Ahhhh the laughter that ensued.

There was a Kodak commercial that used to play while I was in college, which showed a series of snapshots or something and sang the song, "Life is good when you've got your friends." (It might have said "when you got your friends," but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...) I agree with Kodak, but I'd add a verse two:

Life is good when you've got your sister!

6 comments:

KJ said...

Hurray!! We are the best! :) I love us!

gretchen said...

I was just laughing so much that Ian came in and demanded, "What's so funny?" Now I must go and read it to the boys...

: )

I LOVE YOU GUYS!

gretchen said...

Jamie's response: "Did that really happen?"

Ian's response: "Kimberly wouldn't dare do that!"

They were grinning : )

ljm said...

Ha,ha!! Great story. Also, pictures, please! (of your new place, not the water fight-although that might be good if you have any:)

Booker said...

glad you're treating the place like your own now :-D

Anonymous said...

looking forward to seeing you this weekend and hearing more of your adventures thus far. der