Tuesday, February 01, 2011

How I Feel About Snow

I feel like I LOVE SNOW! I think it's beautiful. I feel cozy when it's snowing out and I'm in. It gives me snow days that make it seem like there really are more than twenty-four hours in the day. It sticks to trees and telephone wires and makes me think of Robert Frost.

You know how else I feel? People who continually complain about snow should probably should move south. If you live in New England, you're going to get snow, people! There's not going to be a winter without it! I'm not asking that everyone in the world love snow, but Northerners should be able to handle it.

I used to feel really strongly about this latter point, but I'm softening now as I realize that complaining about snow is some people's New England tradition. It's not that they're against New England, it's just that they believe complaining about snow is part of their New England duty. Or so my theory goes... And then there are those who would move if they could... (Backpedal, backpedal, envision all kinds of irate comments, backpedal backpedal backpedal).

I met the antidote to those snow-complainer types though, and it made me cheer inwardly. One of my students' moms told me this morning that she was kind of jealous of the people in Chicago right now. It's so exciting to know there's a major blizzard coming! It could set records! Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?! I mean, besides the obvious answers, like people who actually have to leave their houses...

Granted, this mom was originally from Chicago, and much of her family is still there, and her family used to have season tickets to see the Bears play in all kinds of foul weather, so she's probably used to it, but still... ! That's what I call a Northerner!

Speaking of northerners, I jumped out of the car to drop off a movie, and realized, on my way back, that I wasn't wearing a coat, and that I'd grabbed clogs for my shoes. Yessss. Northerner.

And that's how I feel about snow.

Also, sometimes it's fun to play in. Especially when you have a raging snowball fight in the parking lot with sundry students...

4 comments:

Booker said...

Yes, complaining about the snow is as much a new england tradition as getting the snow :-)

ljm said...

Yes, I get it! Although my tolerance does seem to be decreasing a little as I age. Still, I'd rather die in a snowbank than anywhere near a palm tree.

gretchen said...

Hmm, good insight on the complaining being just a part of the tradition...I'm afraid I usually fall into the unsympathetic camp of "GET OVER IT, PEOPLE!!!"

Or at least, I do when I hear about people complaining. When faced with an actual complainer face-to-face I generally feel more sympathetic (as long as it's not whining. Ugh!)

(Loved Liane's "die in a snowbank" comment! Yesss!)

KMS said...

Yes, I agree with you and with Liane. After moving back to snowy climates from the wimpy winters of Indianapolis, I was HAPPY for snow (and ice, with apologies to your father for all he endured manning the generator after the ice storm of '08). And now that I'm far away from every flake, I'm sad that I'm missing all of this winter's storms.