
When school began, I decided it was time for a tv/movie fast for at least a month. It was SUCH a good decision!! The motive for the decision was that I was sick of postmodern, self-centered thought pervading my world with such regularity. It was time to shut down one avenue through which lies travel into my life. Sure, I can combat the lies, but hey, if I don't watch anything I don't have to concern myself with the drivel! So out went the movies.
Wow.
I've found such amazing benefits from my screen fast! Of course the obvious benefit was the one I was looking for upon undertaking this venture: I wasn't constantly being subjected to other people's ideas of what life is all about. Without those insidious voices, I have been able to hear more clearly the Truth - what life is really all about. I've found myself so content and happy with life, and with my fulfillment coming from doing what God has given me to do with all of my heart.
But there's more! Benefit two is that I have so much more TIME! And I really need that time, because somehow this year is busier than ever... My new Medieval Lit class is taking lots of research and prep, and I have found such rich reward in spending so much time on it. For the first time since I started teaching in 2005 I feel like I am truly giving 100% in my classes. I'm not doing the "ahhh, I'll just wing that one..." thing (at least not often!). I'm prepping thoroughly, and it is such a JOY to be able to get into the classroom every day and know that I'm totally ready, and see the benefit in my students' experience. I'm having a blast! And I love seeing my kids respond.
But there's MORE! Benefit three (and this is a major one!) is that I'm now on this reading kick, big time! Ahhhh, I've missed those days where reading was the thing I always did when I had free minute. And now it's back! Frequently throughout the day I'll find myself looking forward to being able to read in the evening. After my day's work is done, I'll happily pick up my book and jump back into that world I'd been thinking of throughout the day. Last Friday I got four books out of the library, and I'm already on book three (which, incidentally, is Pride and Prejudice, which I last began in 8th grade)!
So people, if you're looking for less postmodernism influencing your thinking, more time, and more joy in reading, I suggest you, too, join me in this screen fast! It's a great time :)
1 comment:
Oh Andrea, my DEAR. I've just read through about five of your posts, and are they ever a breath of fresh air! Thanks for reminding me of stuff that matters.
Post a Comment