I was starting to write a post about the inconvenience of blogger.com not having a spell check option for new posts when I looked up and saw the familiar symbol with a check mark and an ABC. After the cliched start of surprise, I resumed writing along a slightly different line: a chronicle of a few recent, potentially embarrassing moments in my life. This is by no means a complete list.
First of all, I have written seven posts via the following method: Write the post, copy and paste it into Word, run spell check, and go back and forth between Word and the post, fixing it error by error.
Secondly, it became real to me this past weekend that Paul talks about "kicking against the goads" as opposed to "kicking against the gourds." That did seem like a rather odd expression.
Third, I just realized this semester that yams are definitely vegetables, not animals. I kind of vaguely thought about them as members of the yak family, I think.
Fourth, I arrived at school today and discovered that I had left my entire school bag at home. I didn't even have an old notebook in which to take notes. Thanks to the kindness of a girl in my first class I was equipped with some loose-leaf paper, and managed to bluff my way through the day successfully.
I'm sure there are many more such episodes, but those four spring to mind. I may or may not keep this list updated, depending upon my self-confidence level. But I can hardly resist a good story, even if it does poke fun at myself...
3 comments:
Dear You! This post gave me great joy - I do love to see that I'm not the only one in the world with these experiences! :)
Me neither! (This is Lisa) The other day I trotted to work with two sets of keys, one light green; one bright green. I was convinced that the brights were intended to open the office door, which I was supposed to man for the morning. When the key fit into the lock, but did not turn, I involved the registrar, my professor's wife, son, and daughter, as well as two of the building's secretaries, a random loiterer, and the handyman in an attempt to make the keys work or find a new set. Failing all that, I gave up in disgust and went downstairs to open the library door with my other set of keys. You guessed it: I was trying the wrong set all along! Next time I will try a little simple thinking before I go on to my more advanced options. Sigh. I really do have brains....I just use them for other things!
Any news from Browns yet? Wasn't it supposed to be this month that you heard? I wonder if no news is good new in this case or not.
Post a Comment