Saturday, June 25, 2005

Planning for the Girls Week

Sometimes it is possible to shove your flaws to the back of your mind, and tell yourself that you are a pretty well-adjusted person. Planning a week-long event for girls is not such a time. I have compiled a list of flaws that have recently resurfaced in my consciousness (some examples may be exaggerated to make a more interesting story - a statement which should really be added to every blog - in fact it should be added to my life in general. Consider that a life-long disclaimer):

1. No Organizational Skills.

Oh no. I have been working from an incomplete e-mail list, and several girls are totally in the dark with less than a week to pack! [5 second pause] Uh oh. I have 21 girls, and 20 seats in the van. [I panic and suggest rash solutions] Oh, wait! Here is an e-mail saying one girl won't be able to make it. We do have room after all!

2. Inability to deal with set backs.

It doesn't matter that the problem of seats in the van was solved. I spent so much emotional energy early in the day, worrying about what to do, that I will now have a completely unproductive afternoon.

3. ADD-ness

Well, that's okay. I really don't need to push because I worked really hard yesterday, and I can't work really hard two days in a row. That would be asking way too much of myself. Instead I'll go read blogs...

4. Procrastination

And it doesn't matter, because I'm going to have three more days before the week actually begins. And I can probably get a ton done in the two hours I'll be functional after sundown on Saturday.

5. Inability to think of all eventualities

What do you mean 15 girls' luggage will not fit in the van with the fifteen girls?!

6. Inability to get out of the door for a grocery shopping trip

Oh wait, I need to make a phone call to my sister about something completely unrelated to the task at hand. Make that a couple of phone calls. Oooh, I think I have some library books that are due soon. And where did I leave my glasses (see flaw #1)? Hm, I can't borrow Uncle Paul's car after all because it's a standard. Whoops, can't take a 10 minute trip without my CDs...

7. Inability to communicate

Oh ya, I should probably tell helper #1 what time this thing is starting on Sunday. Ohhh ya, I should probably tell helper #2 that I asked for a helper #3. Ohhhhhhhhh ya, I should probably send out that e-mail to the girls inviting them to come.

But, despite these seven deadly flaws, this week is going to come off, and it's going to be GREAT! I'm looking forward to it - I have the biggest group yet, and they are all winners!

And this post is a fancy way of saying that I probably won't be posting for the next week or so. Ta ta until July!

13 comments:

Booker said...

Well, good luck. You're gonna need it. But one question\exclamation-you cant drive a STANDARD? oh boy...

Claire said...

It seems that whenever I have something big and pressing to do, I suddenly become productive on a whole bunch of other fronts
(totally unimportant ones). I'm supposed to be cleaning the house? Time to re-pot the ivy plant! I'm supposed to clean the house? Time to re-organize my desk. I'm supposed to clean the house? Time to put the clean dishes in the drainer away...You get the picture...

Kristi said...

Wow, those flaws sound uncomfortably familiar! We must be related or something...:-)

Booker said...

You realize with you not posting, it will ALL be up to Melissa now! No pressure Melissa, we don't expect you to entertain us daily with witty comments, comedic anecdotes and nuggets of wisdom. But if you don't, EVERYONE[in the whole world, no less!!!!] will be very let down and disappointed-imagine me with a sad face, and let that guide your conscience. hahahahahahahaahahahaa...

Laughter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laughter said...

Aw, shut up, Derrick. :-D

wideyed said...

Lie down in a dark room with a cool cloth on your forehead, the curtains drawn, and quiet music playing in the background. *Relax,* and you will feel so much better.

Booker said...

Laughter, please. Let us all be civil and get along here. *gently lifts pinky while sipping his tea*

Just because I don't write nice things on your blog is no reason for you to get all snippy at me. Besides, I doubt it is very cold where you are right now, so you have no excuse. Hahahahahaahahahaa...

Laughter said...

Civil shmivil. And I don't recall anything not nice that you've posted on my blog, so I guess you're not as evil as you had hoped you were.

And yes, I now have a pleasant, florid complexion. Lots of sun.

Have a great day.

:-D

CKS said...

Andrea...

Fault #8.

Not giving yourself nearly enough credit.

But beyond that...you'd get all the glory for the girls' week (which will be fabulous as it always is) if you didn't have these seven faults. But since you have them, and particularly since they are so egregious when it comes to planning a week for 20 girls, Someone else will get lots of glory!

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Sounds like you have all the tools to make a great teacher! :-)

Kate said...

Wait? Who is redsoxwinthisyear? how come your profile says you have a blog but it doesn't go anywhere?

Booker said...

It is Chadwick. Or if it isn't, it is someone pretending to be Chadwick. And so on...