My nephews were here yesterday, and we had a wonderful time together. We squirted the huge water gun, played with the dogs, walked through the woods, swung on the rope swing... But most of all we warred.
Our battles began with some action figures. Michael assembled the largest army, Gabriel was second, and I was last - with a grand total of one action figure. I was the bad guy. They were the good guys.
I soon discovered that Michael has some clear ideas about justice and honor. For instance, Gabriel wanted to be on my side, but Michael explained that he would have to lose if he was on my side, because the good guys always win. Hear, hear! Similarly, there were no such things as surprise attacks. Battle must only be waged when all parties were thoroughly ready. Also, if he was fighting my lone action figure with "the sword guy," my guy had to die at the first stroke. When Gabriel tried to do something contrary to this code of justice and honor, Michael told him that was "not how the army works."
Soon battle was waged - action figure vs. action figure (with a tractor and trailer and a plastic slinky as "bombers"). It was an epic struggle. I, of course, lost. Repeatedly.
But soon I was allowed to be a good guy, too. Thus we amassed a huge army (what they had plus my guy). But what to do about an enemy? Of course! The entire kitchen was the enemy! Soon the room was filled with the sounds of combat - slinky versus dishwasher - what a fight!
Justice prevailed, and the evil kitchen was smitten to rise no more. We even took care of the ceiling (that was my personal duty).
And the side benefits of war were the glimpses I got into the ideas of right and wrong, good and evil, that are so embedded in man - even as young as five and three years old. It was fascinating, funny, and even a little inspiring, actually. Hurrah for nephews!
3 comments:
That sounds like so much fun! You are a good Aunt! Good kids make it easy, though, eh?
Ooh! Penny I love you! I am validated! Affirmed! Thanks for a good moment! She said "good kids"... Ahh...
Penny's hoping to join Andrea in the lake of fire. Hehehe...I figure you can take it Gretchen since it's me and not someone who might actually mean it. Honestly, your boys are such angels!
Post a Comment