Step aside, Liane. I am knitting up a storm. Actually, just a boot. It's supposed to be a slipper, I suppose... but that's a bit of a stretch, since it's oddly sort of square.
I was supposed to learn how to do something new for my training-me-how-to-be-an-effective-tutor-in-the-writing-center class (oh man... totally unrelated, but I had to read a book for that class and the author did that whole hyphenate the world thing that I just did and it got SOOOOOO annoying). I guess the idea is to see what it's like being on the other end of the whole teacher/student relationship (although we're not suppose to teach people who come in; we're supposed to collaborate with them on an equal playing field [and, while I'm on a roll, I apologize for using parentheses to house large chunks of randomness in every other sentence I write]). So anyway, I chose knitting as my "learning project." I went over to visit an elderly woman in our church (we'll just call her Mrs. L to protect the innocent and be mightily mysterious), because she is an expert. I was terrified at first as I watched her fingers flying in all different directions to her running commentary of helpful things like "you just do this, and this, and loop this around here...". But she kindly slowed down and I caught on to the basics before too long.
So, after attempting a few rows of lumpy and holey knits and perls, we decided I was ready for a project. But what do you knit in the middle of the blazing summer? I feel no need for sweaters or hats or gloves or parkas or earmuffs (hmm... knitted parkas and earmuffs... I'll make millions), and as Mrs. L said strongly, "scarves are boring as all get out." So, of course, the obvious conclusion was slippers!! After being fairly warned that knitted slippers are slippery unless you spray some kind of traction-spray on them, I frisked some thick brown yarn from Amy (brown is a cozy sort of color, don't you think?) and began. Man alive, this hobby is addicting! I finished around 1 am last night. I was all alone in my room and kept laughing out loud by myself because it looked so ridiculous. I chuckle even now. I improvised a bit, and tucked some corners in here and there, so now it's kinda cute and vaguely slipper-like. I'm pretty proud of it, and figure I've basically arrived as far as knitting goes. Does anybody know someone with only one foot?
9 comments:
I know a man with a wooden leg named Smith...
Sounds like this oddly shaped footwear might work well for him.
haHA! How could I have forgotten Smith and his master!?
If you need to really get rid off it, just let me know. I am sure I can "make" someone only need one slipper...
I actually can spell. "off" should have been "of". I hate grammar...
Congrats on finishing your projected and stepping into the new world of "people with the ability to relate to others". Mostly, I'm just proud of you and your ability to press on through the muck and sludge that the "world" puts out there for us to swallow in various forms of "higher learning".
I'm so proud! I was knitting just the other night for the fun of it and I was thinking the same thing about the heat. It's not very inspiring hobby this time of year. Now you can join me and the girls knitting in the parlor. Bring your own tea.
Yay Melissa! A slipper is a pretty ambitious first project...even though scarves can be boring they are easy to start with. You should post a picture!
All right, somebody needs to step up to the plate and give us a fixx of blogging...
Call me "update-monster."
Post a Comment