Saturday morning. I wake up. I think about school. I look forward to Monday.
WEIRD!!!
Other weird things:
-Having students call me Mrs. Murray (Miss Murray is weird enough!).
-Having Ethan (my 10th grade boy) ask "Is that your name?" when I typed Andrea into the computer. It turns out Andrea is also his grandmother's name!
-Having students respond to my attempts at "the look."
And now for some awesome teaching moments:
-My 7th grade Lit class embodying everything I pictured when I thought "English teacher." They came to class brimming with questions and ideas about the reading (Hawthorne's The Minister's Black Veil, which will hold a very special place in my heart from now on...). And they went through class with excitement, and by the end, awe, as they uncovered what the story was really about.
-Lively discussion in my Government class. I have a double period Gov't class on Fridays, so we're going to do current events. It turns out there is a Democrat in my class! But the other three are pretty rabid Republicans, from what I could gather from one class. This made for invigorating conversation, and a real excitement in the air at some points. They all (even the poor lonely Democrat) sounded really positive afterwards, and agreed that they wanted to continue with the current events. Woo hoo!
-Also invigorating discussion in the teacher's lounge. We started on Hawthorne (someone asked me for the Cliff Notes version of The Minister's Black Veil) and we moved to Puritans and, yes, churches with closed communion and churches that think the Bride of Christ is an exclusive group. I, needless to say, kept a low profile by the end of the conversation... Ah the excitement!
Some Firsts:
-I gave my first quiz yesterday! The kids did not do very well, I don't think. We'll have to work on that...
-I have my first batch of papers to grade (gulp). They did summer book reports. Fortunately, I think I have leeway to grade non-stringently at first.
-I went the northern route on my way in, and discovered it to be shorter!
Bonus:
-My entire 7th and 8th grade class is made up of Red Sox fans!
-Everyone seems to enjoy the wild tangents that I frequently pursue.
-My kids have good senses of humor! There is one boy in particular who can make me laugh really hard.
-I like each of my students! There are none that I feel like I'll have to endure till summer. They are unique and fun and interesting.
-Daddy was able to come visit my school, since he was in Newport on other business!
In Conclusion:
-Thank the Lord, thank the Lord, thank the Lord!
6 comments:
One of the best things in life is actually LOVING your job! I'm so glad that you're loving what you're doing, and doing what you love. Though the novelty might fade a bit, I have a feeling you're always going to love teaching and you're going to be one of the best teachers in the country!
I am so glad you enjoy teaching lit. My dear Aunt Bertha, whom you have probably heard of before, was asked on her 100th birthday, "What would you say was the main contribution to your longevity?" Her reply was, "Teaching highschool English for 43 years!" She is now 102 and still kickin'.
May God bless you beyond measure.
I'm so happy and thrilled for you! and I think that your joy in teaching is coming from the Holy Spirit working through the tendency in your personality to find the best in everyone, enjoy everything, be happy/content/ exuberant, etc. It's not just ideal circumstances that have made you love it! It's your ideal response, too--always ready to focus on the positive.
Way to revel in the moment and let it teach you to anticipate the future with glee, instead of allowing thoughts of the future to taint your current happiness. I aspire to your Spirit-filled personality, and I'm even more tempted to try teaching at some point!
P.S. And I'm blown away that you wake up Saturday morning looking forward to Monday. As hard as I work on my optimistic spirit, that just doesn't come easily!
Wow! This is the first time in a while that I've checked your blog and I'm so happy to hear that teaching is going SO WELL! Especially with 7th and 8th graders. Cool Romeo and Juliet fact about wherefore, I never knew that. Now it all makes sense. Oh and my dad keeps talking about how he needs to keep up on your blogs to see how you do with teaching because he's thinking when he retires he's gonna persue teaching english! So these happy blogs should be an encouragement to him.
God's blessings apon you my dear, and they are!
Wonder why your blog makes me feel so happy! :O)
Post a Comment