Friday, September 23, 2005

More Teaching Moments

Newsflash: I LOVE TEACHING! (That was for anyone who has not read my blog before, and thus hasn't seen the other 74 times I've said that.)

Weird Teaching Moment of the Week: When the students didn't know who AM was on the schedule - thinking surely it would say "MM" (for Miss Murray) if it meant me.

A First: Today was picture day! A photographer came in and got group pics and individual pics. This school is much cooler than my high school about picture taking, because in this school we got to have the pictures taken outside with a rustic New England background. I imagine this is the difference between 900 students and 49 students.

Happiest Teaching Moment of the Week: Today I was telling my high school about something that happened in middle school science. "I wish you were our science teacher," said one kid. "And math," he added. "And everything else!" said another. Did someone tell them I was a words of aff person and would give them better grades on the exams they were about to take if they buttered me up a bit? Because it probably worked.

On second thought, it probably didn't. I found something to work on: essay writing. They are very juvenile in their essay responses on tests. Don't worry - I'll whack 'em once, and they will start learning fast:) Oh, and comma usage. YIKES! I didn't know it was possible to use so many commas in one sentence.

Happy Realization of the Week: Just because you wake up in the morning more exhausted than you've been in months, it doesn't mean the day will be a bad one! In fact, it might get better and better as it goes along, and end up your favorite day of the week.

Looking Ahead: After watching my 7th and 8th graders perform a play of Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Minister's Black Veil" (the mauling of the subtleties of the story probably had ol' Nate spinning in his grave), and seeing how well they did (I was SO proud - we'd never had an uninterrupted/unprompt-filled rehearsal, and the actual play went flawlessly, if you don't count one brief fit of giggles), the headmaster asked me to entertain the idea (just entertain, he assured me) of directing a play at the end of the year. He'd like something that demonstrates the classical model, has costumes and set, and involves everyone from 5th grade up with parent participation. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! All this after I was saying to Melissa that it was going to be a LONG time before I attempted another play... But, strangely, I was quite captured by the idea, and will probably be sending out invitations sometime around April or May:)

Happy Sabbath everyone! (And let me tell you - I am sure relishing my Sabbaths these days!)

6 comments:

CKS said...

Wow! I'm so excited by this post! It makes me want a classroom full of kids, if only for the words of affirmation they might provide me. Hmm...I'm thinkin' that would be the wrong motivation to go into teaching.

You're a teacher! Wow.

And I have this to say: "I wish you were my world music teacher, and my medieval/renaissance music history teacher, and my everything else teacher." Well, I might keep my acoustics, Hebrew, and ear training teachers, since they're not half bad, but you can have the other positions.

P.S. Have you asked anyone down there if they need a music teacher? Do they even HAVE music at that school? I might even figure out how to direct school plays if it'll make them hire me...

Booker said...

Man, pretty soon Broadway will knocking down your door :) Congrats on the continued successes!

drewey fern said...

Good news, Asaphat.
My school would hire you at the drop of a hat. However, you might have to do music plus the second grade... But I think you would be a fabulous second grade teacher! Definitely come work at my school as soon as you graduate!!!

TripleNine said...

Good job Miss Murray :)

Glad that things are going well and you are really enjoying your job. As for waking up really tired, isn't that what coffee is for? Not to mention nothing makes a day look up like a warm cup of joe.

Kristi said...

I think you and Craig should come out and teach at MY school! They're going to be needing a 7th grade teacher next year and possibly another music teacher. But I dare say you wouldn't dream of leaving what you've already got!

Booker said...

Hey, guess what I just found out, everyone! SOMEBODY has a new car. Of course, probably everybody else already knew that, but I thot I would throw that tidbit out for those who are out of the loop, hahahaha...