Sunday, October 09, 2005

Great Moments in Literature

I was just chatting with Dad and Mom on the phone, and remembered two excellent Literature classes which I'd forgotten to report in blogger-land.

The first was with my 7th and 8th grade class. We had just read about Milo's discovery of the orchestra that plays the sunrise, the music of which provides the world with all of its color. So to illustrate this idea, I brought in three music samples and crayons. As I played each one I had them select appropriate colors for the mood of the music, and color on a piece of paper. They loved it! The first piece was a very mellow, renaissance (?) piece. I chose grays and dark blues. The next was a Baroque trumpet piece - very upbeat. I chose yellow and orange and red. And THEN came Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1. You should have seen their reactions! I chose bold colors, with streaks of gold. But some of them were reacting to the crashiness of the music by grabbing huge clumps of crayons and scribbling at will! It was so much fun:) We then went around the room and explained why we'd chosen the colors we'd chosen. I'd planned on the activity taking about 10 minutes, and it ended up taking up the entire period (45 minutes), but it was well worth it. I don't think they'll forget that any time soon!

The second great literature moment was with my 10th and 11th graders in our discussion of Greek Tragedy. Ahhhh I love it. We discussed such incredibly deep themes as "redemption through suffering" and "catharsis" and "order." And all of this was enhanced by the fact that I got to write those quoted terms on the board with colored chalk (thanks, Dad, for instilling in me a love for colored chalk!). And I think they were really getting it. The more I get to know the stories of my high schoolers, the more I'm realizing that they have known far more suffering than I did at their age. We talked about some deep issues, and included references to what the Bible says about suffering. It was a rich time. Who wouldn't want to teach literature?!

So ya, I still love being a teacher - especially being a Lit teacher.

5 comments:

lis said...

Wish I was there for the coloring session. Where you do get all these awesome ideas from, anyway?

Marie said...

it'd be fun just to sit in on some of your classes sometimes... well in a way I do through your blogs. You should eventually compile them and write a book:)
You've very good with words...

CARmelo said...

I am glad you are having fun teaching it will infect your students with the desire to learn more....we need more Andrea Murrays teaching. So lets get cloning!!

Booker said...

Hurrah for cloning!!! :)

CKS said...

Have you discussed the doctrine of ethos? Your music with the colors for moods reminded me of the Greek ideas about music affecting behavior...next time play them music and make them hold up cards that say what mood it puts them in. :-)