...make Key Lyme Pie. Thanks for your clever advice, Craig. It was too good to pass up as a blog title, so I stole it. Yes, dear readers, I have Lyme Disease. At least I'd better, since I'm taking antibiotics for it. Oh the places I've been in the past week... I woke up Tuesday feeling Rather Odd, and upon finding a thermometer, I discovered I wasn't faking it! I had a temperature of over 100 -- an automatic stay-home-from-school-free pass! Woo! So, a nice, happy little fever, right? Well, no. It came and went, but it got as high as 104.4 (impressive, eh?), at which point my eyeballs felt like the fiery furnace, post Nebuchadnezzar's rage. Everything ached... for days. What was going on? Who gets random fevers suddenly? Evidently people with Lyme Disease do, but I didn't know at that point that I had it. So... I drank Many Liquids (I hope I learn to enjoy orange juice again) and watched tv for hour upon maddening hour, since I couldn't really do much else (such as move or think). The problem is, NOTHING is on during the day, except soap operas, Martha Stewart, and kids' shows. I did watch Mr. Rogers at one point, and was filled with happy memories from that golden era of children's programming. In this episode, I learned that real giants (such as the kind Daniel the Tiger was afraid he saw) are not real; they're just pretend. The objects of such fears are likely to turn out to be kind-hearted singing and dancing schoolteachers. So think of the lessons I would have missed had I not been sick... Andrea would still terrify me! Thank you, Land of Make-Believe!
ANYWAY, yes. I fulfilled my tv watching quota for the next 14.7 years. And I went to the doctor at one point, too. He asked, based on my address, if I was related to Grandpa (only he didn't call him that). Said to tell him he said hi. Good old Rhode Island. Of course, my fever was gone when I saw him (probably shivered it away during the 45 minutes I sat in the waiting room...), only to soar back to 103 that night. At the height of my malaise, my head and neck were so stiff and sore I could hardly move them. And my head felt like it was covered in bruises -- sore to the touch rather than muscle ache -- and my forehead felt numb. Isn't that weird? I think it's weird. Maybe the numbness has something to do with the large bowl of ice-water (emphasis on ice) that Andrea rigged up to allow me to remoisten my washcloth. Actually, I was just used to the past tense, but my head still kind of feels bruised and such. I'm not out of the woods yet. Wow, what an ironic statement, since it was the WOODS that got me into this mess in the first place! Stupid ticks on stupid deer. I probably got it while drawing in fields for hours. And now I look forward to an Everest of work for the same class! I'm not too panicky, though. It'll get done; it always does somehow... And if not, it's not the end of the world (if only it were that easy!).
So, now you are informed! I would appreciate continued prayers for healing; the antibiotics seem to be doing their thing, but I need to get a lot of strength back to do what needs to be done. And if anyone wants to volunteer to make me that Key Lyme pie, that would probably help things, too.
12 comments:
Wow... that's all I have to say about that.
And *BIG Hugs* Hope you feel better soon.
Oh my word, Melissa...how scary! I hope you are feeling back to normal quickly.
Oh you POOR creature. insert moans of sympathy here. This message comes with a ton of love and support from Brad, Nate, Penny, and me. ( I read this aloud to them and they were dumbstruck with horror.)
...STUPID TICKS ON STUPID DEER! Good grief!
Lyme disease! That is such a RI desease to get. You're so smart, you were right all along...how did you know? What a rough week, you have my sympathy too. And I'm so glad you watched my uncle Mr. FRED Rogers from Connecticut. He was such a nice guy. Remember when you told me that he died and I thought you were talking about my REAL uncle Fred. Ha ha. Get well soon.
so sorry Melissa, them there nNew England woods are bad. Hope you feel much better real soon
ahhh, I'm sorry, I know it wasn't my fault but that stinks... so I'm sorry you had it... yuck to feeling bad...and sore and sick.
goodness lymes disease... wowzers... I threw up a prayer for you... and if I think to I'll trow up another one...
well you know what I mean, not vomit one forth but fling it up thar(man made myself laugh, great way to put that I prayed for you...goodness!...;)
Love ya, take care of yourself... keep us updated:)
Ugh. That pretty much stinks. Hope you get better quick :)
How completely dreadful, and ghastly, to use
some oft used British descriptive terms. I had to laugh
at the part about not being 'out of the woods yet'...
Very punny...although the whole thing is actually
far from it.
lots of love and prayers coming your way!
me too! And my brothers, Stephen and David, during our little morning meeting.
Great word picture with Nebuchadnezzar's furnace...but I'm sorry you are so m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e!
:O(
Meliss, I'd offer to make that Key Lyme Pie for you, since it was my brash, insensitive idea, before I knew you actually HAD it, but I confess I don't know enough about cookery to be a success. Thanks for the thorough description of your pain...now I know what symptoms to look for. AND I'm not as terrified about it anymore...it doesn't seem quite the same deadly killer it once was. I'll be praying, too.
You know, I find this situation to be greatly ironic, and here is why.
You are an art student and paint pictures. You spent like, what, one day outside? and get lyme disease.
I am a surveyor. My work is outdoors, 8hrs a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year[other 2 weeks are vaca, and let me tell you, no outdoors for me if I can help it], and have had ticks imbedded multiple times, and nothing.
I just find that disgustingly ironic, that is all :)
Sympathies are abounding, including mine. And I'll likely regurgitate a prayer as well, along with Marie.
(And Marie, you made me laugh. Before I even read your disclaimer I thought it sounded like what you didn't mean it to.)
Post a Comment