Whenever I do something especially neurotic Melissa laughingly threatens to blog about it. With this particular neurosis I'm going to beat her to the punch by telling on myself.
I take pictures of everything. And I'm not even exaggerating that much. I took a picture of presents I wrapped. And then there was the piece of paper I decorated, and the food I made, and the bowl of ice cream... Actually, that last one was a joint effort with Kimberly. But still.
My latest subject has been my chalkboard. Yes, chalkboard. But how can I help it, when my kids draw such charming things with colored chalk?! I simply can't erase them, condemning them to non-existence forever. So I now have at least 6 pictures, if not more, of things my kids wrote on the board.
Incidentally, I think colored chalk is in the genes somewhere. I remember Dad being enamored of colored chalk when I was little, and now I am amazed at how much pleasure I derive from a well chalked-up board.
Back to the photography - this deep desire to capture the fleeting is thwarted on an almost daily basis. Every afternoon I get to drive over the Newport Bridge, and every afternoon I am treated to the incredible view from that locale. It is now firmly entrenched in the "one of my favorite places on earth" list in my mind. It is repeatedly stunning in totally new ways. And there's that one little section that you know is the opening to the ocean, which goes on forever. And the cloud formations there! Wow. And yet I am constantly reminded that there is no break-down lane on the bridge. There is no way I can stop to take a picture.
But perhaps it is just as well. A picture couldn't do justice to that view. So instead of whipping out the ol' camera, I drink it in every day, knowing there will be another such view the next day. Then I try to think deep thoughts about why the ocean affects me the way it does. Then I quickly swerve back out of the incoming traffic into which I have drifted while thinking deep thoughts and absorbing beautiful sights.
And hey, if anyone wants to see a chalkboard picture, stay tuned. I'm hoping to post one sometime in the future, after I get this role of film developed.
4 comments:
I know! I know! I'd be doing the same thing, Andrea, taking pictures of everything. If I had a camera, that is. In the mean time, I write word pictures, which is almost as much fun.
May you have an everlasting supply of film, and forever subjects to photograph. :)
get a digi! then you can easily upload stuff, and easily mess with it in photoshop, and easily *fill in the blank* :)
Don't worry, Ryu. That's for what I've been fondly wishing. Film is great in its place, but give me digitized photos any day.
Where there is a will there is a way...if you want that picture you should get it! Nothing is impossible...it can be had.
Post a Comment