Sunday, November 20, 2005

Conversations with Michael

Michael is becoming more and more verbose these days, so the occasional telephone conversation has progressed from the days of "Hi, Iah!" to actually dialogues. Today he called with some big news. His tooth had fallen out! I had forgotten (if I'd actually known) that his tooth was loose, and the news was a total surprise. This was big! Therefore I screamed and jumped around with joy for awhile. I cannot wait to see the little gap! I can't believe how old he's getting.

The phone call ended up being the longest I've ever had with him, lasting perhaps half an hour! Fortunately I had been feeling a distinct Michael-withdrawal, and was willing to spend some real quality time.

The conversation proceeded something like this:

Michael: Now I'm on the new couch in the living room.
Andrea: Oh wow! That's nice.
[Pause followed by high pitched beep]
Michael: Oops, that was me pushing the button.
Andrea: Oh, I was wondering what that was!
Michael: [Laughter]
Andrea: So what have you been doing today?
Michael: I don't know... Did I tell you my tooth fell out?
Andrea: Ya! Remember? I screamed and jumped around.
Michael: Oh ya! [Pause] Mama's laughing. [Laughs]
[Pause]
Michael: Are you there?
Andrea: Ya! Are you there?
Michael: Yes! [Laughs]

This conversation continued with some variation, but not too much. The "are you there" sequence was repeated four or five times. There were some moments when information was actually exchanged, but not too many. Information exchanges are highly overrated.

The happiest parts came at the beginning (with the initial news) and then when I told him I'd be home for Thanksgiving and he gave an involuntary "Yaaaaayyy!" Oh, and the "I love you" at the end was a day maker.

Man, I love being an aunt!

3 comments:

Booker said...

and before you know it, he'll be getting married and having little ones of his own, then you'll really be a great aunt!


I apologize. That was an atrocious play on words, but I laughed anyway when I wrote it. Mr Pass would be proud of me :)

Marie said...

Ahhh, I like being an aunt too. But my little ones don't take tons...at least I haven't heard em much yet. Talk to Jaedan, Matt's Baby on the phone the other day. She's sweet:) They say she's quit a girl, loud! I'll be seeing her at Christmas and Hunter! YEAH! Babies are great!

Marie said...

oops I made some mistakes in spelling and tense...hurts my pride;) take care...MP

take=talk
talk(to Jeadan)=talked
she's "quit" a girl=quite

I shoulda proof read!;)