I almost didn't want to post, because that would mean Tim Naehring would be booted from the page. But here I am.
I won the contest at school for most festive classroom. Actually there was no contest. But if there was, mine would win. I suddenly realized I could decorate my classroom, so now it sports a green garland over the chalkboard, with white Christmas lights. My large collection of Christmas ornaments is hanging up as well. I have snowflakes (made by my 7th and 8th graders) on my windows. I even have a poinsettia plant that Uncle Paul bought for me! The Christmas spirit is alive and well in my classroom, and I think the kids are really enjoying it.
The other record I set was the one for longest and worst commute ever. This morning it took me 1 hour and 50 minutes to get to school. And I kept being surprised I hadn't gotten in an accident yet. It was really strange. I left the house, first of all, at the last possible moment. But Uncle Paul had just noticed that my right rear tire seriously needed air. I figured I could still make it, since devotions always start late anyway.
Ha.
I got to the place where they sell air for 75 cents. I put in my quarters, the machine started, and then I discovered that the nozzle was either firmly jammed or there was some trick to getting it to come out. I called Uncle Paul who told me where to find another air thing. I found it, and this time was successful. Interestingly enough, my 35 lbs of air tire had a mere shmere 6 lbs in it! Oy vay.
I zipped back onto the road, still not having hit 295. Kimberly called. She usually calls when I'm in Fall River. I wasn't even close to Providence yet. Ay ay ay. I chatted with her for awhile until I had almost hit a van for the second time, and then decided I needed to concentrate. Did I mention it was raining all this time?
So I get to the place where you have to quickly and stealthily cross a million lanes of traffic to get onto 195. Nothin doin. For the second time in my life I, who usually pride myself on my ability to maneuver in traffic, missed my exit because I couldn't break into the line of traffic. You should have heard the bellow that emerged from my mouth when I sailed on down 95, inexorably parted from my road. Actually you shouldn't have heard it. I would have been mightily embarrassed.
In any case, I took the next exit and realized it would not get me anywhere fast. I found my way back to 95, hoping I would be north of my exit. Nope. Definitely south. So I resigned myself to my fate, and took 95 all the way down to the Newport bridge. For those of you readers not familiar with the highway system of RI (let's see... that would be everyone except Melissa) that is kind of like going from NH to RI via Chestnut Hill. Although not quite as long, thankfully.
I got to school 1 hour and 50 minutes after I left the house.
But today ended up being a super day! Ahhh, I love teaching. I love my students. I even love Earth Science!
7 comments:
Aaaack! Sorry for the miserable start, but at least it ended when you got to school and didn't destroy the whole day. So were you late for school? Did your students sit in a teacherless classroom, staring blankly at your Christmas decorations and wondering what had become of you?
I was wondering, too, if you got to school late, or if usually arrive super early.
Hey how long is your commute usually? I had to commute this summer quite a bit. It's dangerous at times!
Hopefully your trip won't be that long again:)
Ahh, I like christmas decorations!
I managed to miss only teacher's devotion time (7:30-8). My students were unharmed:) My commute usually takes just over an hour.
I sympathize with your long commute. I know ALL about those! Mine takes up so much of day, that by the time I get home, it seems like there just isn't enough time to watch all the anime I need to! Such a shame really. But I guess that is what heaven is for, eh? lol...
Hmmm...I just began reconsidering my desire to go to heaven, given the possibilities of what might be waiting for us there...
:)
Post a Comment