Monday, January 02, 2006

Post Christmas Blues

I almost never get post-Christmas blues, I'm happy to report. My birthday is the day after, so there's nothing to be blue about there! And then there's always the happiness of another week (or four, if in college) of vacation. Nothing to be blue about there! And this year I even had a fantastic year-end convention to attend. Nothing to be blue about there, for sure!

But this evening I had a half-hour of post-Christmas blues. It came when I tried to assimilate my Christmas gifts into my already well laden room. As I shoved hangers over in the closet, with all of my strength, I dreamed of those huge closets that are the approximate size of my bedroom when I was a little girl. As I stacked up CDs on the floor I realized I'd have to actually invest in another car CD holder. As I drew out the beautiful framed picture of my nephews it occurred to me that I am already using every single available flat surface to hold pictures. And as I guiltily placed some items on the top shelf of my closet I realized that the simple fact is this: I need to down-size!

But how will I do it? How can I tell the faithful pictures, who have kept me company all through college, that they are going to be replaced by young upstarts? How can I throw out any scrap of clothing, when I could very well regret such a bold move in a few weeks time when I finally discover the shirt that would have matched that thrown-away skirt? How can I part with any little knick-knack that could end up a valuable archive after I become saintly and inspire future generations?

So the only solution, dear readers, is to tear down my barns and build bigger. I'm going to annex TJ's room. He doesn't really need it right now, after all. And in fact, I might even be generous and annex only a portion. In any case, I could use that extra shelf and closet space. I could have two desks and two big bookcases and another huge closet! I could buy large trunks, or even those tupperware storage containers. The possibilities are endless! When TJ comes back home I expect him to be so sanctified that he won't even mind, and will gladly move over to share a room with Amy.

Ahhh, solution found. Post Christmas Blues over.

3 comments:

TripleNine said...

All you have to do is move and then you will downsize very, very quickly. Believe me, I know.

Even though, the annex idea is pretty good. Chad has a huge room that he hardly ever uses. hahahaha.

Booker said...

Hmm, I like the annex idea too. Maybe I should mention it to Alden :)

Marie said...

hey Lord willing when you get married you'll need all that stuff to start house with...
:) Than you'll have more pics to put on the walls and knick knacks for the shelves etc...otherwise where you'd live would be rather empty.
Just think of it as a room sized plus, hope chest:) How you live now...
I just went through alot of my clothes and got rid of one garbage bag full (the medium sized white garbage bag) and went through other junk of mine and thew out like 2 garbage bag fulls. I have alot of stuff myself. I like throwing things out, but I still have lots of stuff. I "store" things behind the wood stove in my room... and I also have 2 chests in my room which I use. One of which I want to go through sometime and get rid of stuff I don't want/need.
The rule on clothing is if you haven't worn it in a year you should get rid of it. Also it's okay to rotate pics... or just store knick knacks/pics until later use like when you live in your own house.

That's my chit chat on the topic:)