Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Speaking of Choosing a New Identity...

WHO AM I?!?! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD ME!?

What brought on this identity crisis, you may ask. Well. I will tell you. Monday I got back from Spring Break to the news that the math teacher was out, and I was the lucky one who was subbing for her. I walked into class expecting to monitor a study hall, and found lesson plans instead. And then... (gasp) I TAUGHT MATH. And what's more, I really enjoyed it.
Really!
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
.
Here I was, I who had disparaged math for so many years, enjoying the fact that parallel lines intersected by a transversal always create equal angles at points 2, 4, 6, and 8. Always! I think what got me was the absolute-ness of it all. There's no saying, "Welllll, you could have phrased that better" on a math problem. It's either right or wrong. But even better was the whole mystery solving part of it all. You get this weird picture of lines all crisscrossing each other, with only a few angles filled in, and by breaking it down into smaller parts you can fill in the missing angles bit by oh-so-sure bit. Wow! What a treat!
.
My school is looking for a new math teacher next year (since our present one's husband is being restationed. Waaaaah!). Maybe I should apply! Of course, I can't promise any ability past about the seventh grade level, but still...
.
Hurrah for the discovery of new delights!

10 comments:

Laughter said...

Yikes, you're a better woman than I am...

my response would have been screaming and waving my arms as I fled from the school building.

Anonymous said...

I have no sister.






(hee-hee-hee)
Love you,
me

Mrs. RF said...

Ah, the joys of math! Way to go!

CKS said...

Remember how you were on track to take Calculus in high school and you stopped after Algebra II because you decided you would never use math again in your life? (or something to that affect...)

You never know what you'll be asked to do.

ljm said...

Now you've gone too far.

Linds said...

Wowzer! who are you and what have you done with my friend???

Isaac Demme said...

hahahahahaha

Excellent.

Most excellent.

drewey fern said...

Oh nononononono, I still stand by my decision to quit after Algebra II in high school. The husband-being-restationed math teacher just told me yesterday (as I was telling her how much fun I'd had teaching) that it stops being fun to teach after Algebra II! If I'd gone past Alg II they might want me to teach that. And heaven forbid we do anything that isn't always incredibly fun. :)

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

YAY for MATH!!! Ol' 'Lanche is muttering... ...he has trouble counting higher than FOUR!!! 8~)

Booker said...

We WANT Quantum Mechanics!!!

Teach us Andrea-san...