Thursday, June 01, 2006

Emily Would Be Proud!

Yesterday, in our poetry unit, we read Emily Dickinson's fabulous poem, "I'm nobody, who are you?" If you aren't familiar with the poem, google it right away. It's so charming!


Anyway, I taught the class second period, and the day progressed as usual. Then, at the very end of the day, as the kids were coming from their classrooms and heading to the end of the hall to wait for their parents, I saw one of my students accosted by a younger student in a silly mood.

"Who are you?" asked the younger student, feigning amnesia, or something.
"I'm nobody, who are you?" responded my student with a knowing look toward me.

WOW!!! I have an 8th grade boy quoting Emily Dickinson!!! My little heart swelled with joy as I acknowledged his wit.

I love teaching!

(PS. Tomorrow is the last day of classes for the high school. We're going to be partying like crazy... With "Ice Age" and chocolate!)

(PPS. Happy Birthday to my nephew, Michael, who is six today! He holds an inexpressibly precious place in my heart. I love you, Misha!)

6 comments:

Booker said...

We are all nobody's. Until we are made into somebody.

Doesn't that sound deep? Heh, heh, heh.

amazing what heat and tiredness will do to one's brain, lol...

ljm said...

I love ED when I can understand her! And Happy Birthday Michael!

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Hmmmm---if I am nobody does that mean I am invisible???!!! *~)
Yay for good teachers... ...Happy Birthday to Michael!!!

Claire said...

Emily Dickinson writes edible poetry. Yummmm....

lis said...

Yes, I love "How tiresome to be famous" myself.

You know...

"How public, like a frog:
to croak one's name the livelong day
To an admiring bog."

It really helps whenever I get that huge temptation to be famous...

*thinks a minute

Which would be just about never.

:O)

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»