I have approximately two weeks left free for the rest of the summer. Gasp! Where does the time go?! So I've designated it as reading time - as in, reading the books I'll be teaching next year.
Yesterday I read H. G. Wells' "The Time Machine." It was actually quite a fascinating read! I liked it better than "The War of the Worlds," which I'd finished just before. And it reminded me of this hilarious bit of writing.
Today, on a vastly different note, I read "The Pilgrim's Progress." Wow! I was sort of familiar with it, I guess, but hadn't read it in years (if I ever did read the whole thing). There are some really deep things there. I'd recommend it to all! It wasn't exactly a page turner, and I did skim some, but it was well worth the time. (I read just the first half - about Christian - and skipped the second half about his wife...)
I'm taking a break for the Sabbath (doing some P. G. Wodehouse or something), but then I'll be tackling such things as "Silas Marner" (has anyone read it? I haven't yet. Obviously.) and "Paradise Lost." Woooo!
Oh. Before vacation I massively skim-read "Frankenstein." I had no idea what a horrible story it was! Oy vay! Barely a drop of good cheer to be seen anywhere! I decided not to make my kids read it:) But I did learn something valuable: Frankenstein is the name of the guy who made the monster-ish guy, and not the monster-ish guy himself. Who would have thought?
When I wrote my PC English profs to let them know I was an English teacher, one wrote back with the bad news that it's a lot of work, but the good news that the work is usually reading, which is why we got into the field in the first place! Hurrah for books!
10 comments:
I read Silas Marner in high school... something about an old man and a little girl and treasure... and I remember thinking it was kind of boring and pointless. Sigh... it's probably a great classic that I just couldn't appreciate in my dense youth.
Way to be encouraging! I am currently partway through Frankenstein, and now I know it's an awful book! Sigh. At least awfully gloomy. Oh well, I like O. Henry and I liked Dr. J. and Mr. H., so maybe I'm ok. :)
I was making great guns at "Crime & Punishment" until I had to take a break b/c my brain hurt... Now I'm re-reading Mitford :)
Silas Marner-I found it to be very enjoyable. As for Frankenstien, I started it, but it was so dry and boring and depressing, that I never finished it...
For some odd reason I enjoyed Crime and Punishment enough that I've read it twice.
Does this say something bad about me?
:-)
Only two weeks of summer left? You start school mid August? Oy vay!
And laughter, I think it speaks volumes. It probably means you have a penchant for commiting the perfect crime. Either that or you are hoping to play the role of the angelic female who helps restore some bad character from the depths of degradation.
And I also read Silas Marner, but also remember little else than treasure buried in a house.
I think that almost all those books (except P.G. Wodehouse which I read anyway) are on my reading list for this next year. I've read The Time Machine and liked it (and yeah, I thought it was better than War of the Worlds) but at one in the morning it seemed scary to me.
hhahaha, that sign made me really LOL which is rare when I'm all alone in a room. Ahh the joy. It kinda reminds me of that walking sign of the pregnant man in Israel. Remember that? Sounds like a wonderful time and now I want to go see all the plains and mountains too. Oh, and way to go with taking pics!
See ya tomorrow at 9:05pm. There, now you have it written down somewhere =)
um, whoops, I meant to post that on Mel's post. hehe.
um, whoops, I meant to post that on Mel's post. hehe.
Post a Comment