Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Girls Singing Boys' Songs

So here's this dilemma. Some of the most beautiful songs in the world are written from the male perspective. But when I'm rich and famous and cutting 276 CDs a year, I'll be realllly tempted to use the most beautiful songs in the world! Because really, why would you want to cut CDs that didn't have the most beautiful music in the world? I mean, that would be like if you were an incredible writer but chose to write stories about red ponies who die and stuff.

"Danny Boy" for instance is an incredibly beautiful piece. I love singing it at the top of my lungs when the occasion warrants (occasions in which I'm cleaning the house and no one else is home, for example). But really it was written from the father's perspective. Lots of girls sing it, and thus change it to a love song, and it's very pretty. But for me it loses some of its meaning that way. Sigh.

"My Love to My Bride" is one I actually sang at a recital in college. It is another incredibly beautiful one, but really there is no way to make that work. So that one gets the old scratch.

Fortunately for me, and all other females who like to sing, there are also beautiful songs that are written from a female perspective. So all's well there. I don't really have to settle for ugly songs for all of my days...

Anyway, this all came because I was listening to just such a song being sung by a girl on Pandora Internet Radio. PEOPLE! You should check it out! Melissa introduced me to it, and then Penny reminded me of it (Pandora, that is). You type in someone you like, and then you can listen to tons of music in that same style! Right now I'm listening to "Lisa Kelly Radio" and it's beautiful. (Lisa Kelly is one of the "Celtic Woman" singers.) COOL, HUH? I highly recommend it. It can introduce you to all kinds of great new music!

Also, I'm still having a fabu time in GA! I love it down here. We've done some great shopping, some great fellowshipping, some great dining, etc. Oh! And swimming! For like an hour and a half or so last night we had the pool to ourselves and it was such fun. I won the "swim underwater the farthest" contest. Yippee! My calling in life! Today we joined the Adams girls for shopping on the square and had a delightful time. We had fried green tomatoes at the sweet little restaurant there. Success all around. Hurrah for GA!

8 comments:

pennyjean said...

Yes. Hooray for good music and for Georgia and for people who come visit Georgia!

Linds said...

Hurray that you're having fun!

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

I suppose male gender singers don't have such a prob??? 8~)

I'm glad life is going so swimmimgly well!!! 8~D

Anonymous said...

I love you so much and I'm so glad you're having such a good time! Hurray!

Aaron said...

Thanks to you I am now completely addicted to Pandora.

Claire said...

Vat ees thees? Thees post ees a week old! Bah! Ve need freshness een zee blog posts. One wood theenk that you were a teeecher getting veddy for scewl agen or sumsink.

Sorry. I'm really bored right now.

Claire said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

drewey fern said...

Claire I LOVE you!!! :)