Sunday, August 27, 2006

Overworked and Underpaid (but still loving it!)

Okay, here is my sob story (which I'm not sobbing about):

My school was going to hire another jr high / high school teacher. Good. We needed one. HOWEVER, somehow that fell through. SO, the other teacher and I are totally picking up the slack. Oy vay. I am going to be teaching SO many classes!

I was all set to do British Literature for the 11th and 12th grades, as well as general Lit for the 9th grade. I was also planning on Logic (hee hee hee), possibly for two levels, as well as Rhetoric (for two levels, but during one class time - one-room school house syle). Okay, good. I was feeling like that was quite manageable. Oh, typing too, but that really doesn't require a lot from me since it's just Mavis Beacon.

THEN I got this e-mail from the headmaster asking me to call him asap. Call him I did, with an elevated pulse. The conversation did nothing to lower my blood pressure. "How do you feel about math?" He asked me. "Umm, I think that it is evil in number form." No, actually I said "I can handle low-level math, but I never went beyond Algebra II..." "Okay, do you think you can teach Algebra I?" "Sure!" (That last statement was made in a fit of insanity. No, I think I can really do it, as long as the real math teacher can help me out a little...")

We discussed some other possibilities, and then he popped in a little, "By the way, I think you're getting your 7th and 8th grade Lit class back." Here there is a pause, as I reflect back on the fact that I have just spent the whole summer preparing two Lit classes, and have one week to work on this third one. "Ummm, I don't really have any books or anything." "Oh, just teach something you've read before." "Well, okay!" It wasn't like he meant to spring this on my last-minute - it wasn't his fault the teacher decided not to work at our school after all. Sigh. And I'm taking him up on the books you've read before thing: The Hobbit, Tom Sawyer, Jane Eyre, and maybe The Chosen. Fun!

So now I'm teaching EIGHT courses:

*Lit (11th and 12th)
*Lit (9th)
*Lit (7th and 8th)
*Logic (7th)
*Logic (8th and 9th) - this one might be in with the 7th grade logic, or might be scrapped all together, so I might only have 7 courses
*Rhetoric (11th as well as 12th, but in the same period)
*Algebra I
*Typing

QUITE THE LINE-UP, EH? Good grief. But now I have to say that it's really not that bad:) It looks like a lot of fun, and I think it's do-able. For one thing (and this is a big thing) Logic, Rhetoric, and Typing are all just three days a week. So really only four courses are every day. And also, some will take very little preparation ahead of time (like typing and Algebra). So it's not as bad as it initially looks. But I just wanted to make it look as bad as possible for effect:)

Should be quite a year!

12 comments:

ljm said...

Oh my word, that's awful! But, of course you make it sound not-so-awful. When's your first day?

lis said...

Gulp! So glad you're so cheerful...and that God is so faithful!

KJ said...

You're amazing Fern! I don't see how you do it but I know you always do and end up having fun by the end too! I'll look forward to hearing updates on how much you're enjoying math and such. :)

Booker said...

my goodness! I'm glad I'm not in your shoes :-) Courage...

Cara said...

You are going to be one busy lady!

redsoxwinthisyear said...

My solution to this would be to organize a union and demand more pay/less classes, or both. But in lieu of that I'm glad you're optimistic, as I'm sure that will help!

Claire said...

"...really not that bad?" WHAT?! Oh my word! I think they should be paying you your salary PLUS half of the quitter's salary. Pshhyeah.

Okay. I guess this will be your last post until Christmas or next June. Nice knowin ya.

:)

Laughter said...

Yikes.

Aaron said...

Wow! You'll be teaching almost as many classes as I'm going to be taking!

Linds said...

Mayhaps we should start a petition for MORE PAY FOR DREWEY FERN!!

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Whew! ...did you put any time for breathing on your schedule?

TripleNine said...

Glad to hear you're looking at it optimistically. I'de probably be panicing. Though teaching just one class would probably do the same thing too.