This morning I got a text message from one of my student's moms (the one who really befriended me last year - I love her!), saying she was sorry to bother me, but she needed to ask me a question.
Uh oh, I thought, here it comes. Her daughter had not completed her summer assignments, and I had told her that she could either tell her mom she was starting the semester with three zeros, or I would have to call her myself. From the text message I surmised that the daughter had told the mother, the mother was upset, and the mother wanted to talk me into some kind of excessive grace or something.
But I texted her back and told her she wasn't bothering me and to go ahead and ask. She texted me back: "[re: the logic puzzle I'd given her daughter in class the day before] Who really did steal the art picture, Charlie or Bill?!"
Hee hee hee. I was vastly relieved and told her it was Charlie. How cute!
And now, with that lovely segue into the subject of school (HA! What else do I ever blog about during the year?!), I am happy to report that things are going fabulously. Last night I was reflecting on the difference between this Friday and last Friday. Last Friday I was a mess, worried about the work load, hating the prospect of Rhetoric class, sure I would never survive. (Incidentally, when I start feeling like that I love quoting "The Princess Bride" at the part where Westley and Buttercup are about to enter the Fireswamp and Buttercup says "We'll never survive," in that beautiful English accent. Hm. Obviously I can't be too despairing if I am still quoting TPB... Oh well. It was pretty despairing for the likes of me.)
This Friday I came home wicked tired, but also happy with how the classes had gone, how I'd handled them (I felt so good-teacher-y because I went the extra mile, in trying to explain truth, validity, and soundness in my logic class, by bringing in a diagram and a visual aid made with legos!), and how the future looked. That talk with my headmaster made such a difference, as did getting further into the groove. I'm going to have to work hard, harder than last year, but not nearly as hard as I envisioned (burning the midnight oil - not a moment's free time - all that jazz). It's going to be okay, thank the Lord!
And this week, I had many of those moments where I thought to myself, or even said aloud: "I LOVE TEACHING!!!"
7 comments:
any teacher who uses legos as a help is a good teacher imo :-)
Glad to hear you're surviving!
And how awful teaching would be if we didn't love it!
Glad that you're doing more than surviving!
LOVE YOU!
Nice quote! :)
Way to go the extra mile! During the week Kim was helping me with my piano rhythm h/w and was trying to think of how you would teach it so I could get it. We couldn't find legos, so we used potatoe stings instead! She did a good job =)
If you hadn't already posted the answer, I would have asked for the puzzle. Oh well, glad you are loving all your hard work. Trust it stays that way.
Did you know that the potato loses its sting after using it to inflict pain on you...?
:)
Post a Comment