Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Two Happiest Teaching Moments of my Life

The first of the happiest moments of my teaching life came last year, sometime around the first day of school, right after my first class, when I realized, "I LOVE this! I was MADE for this!"

The second of the two happiest moments of my teaching life came today. I was talking with the headmaster, whose son is in my senior class. They had just gone down to PA for a college visit. The headmaster said, "Andrea, have you heard what my son's been telling people? You're not going to believe this. This is going to floor you. We got down there to PA, and the people asked what he was thinking about going into. And he said Literature."

!!!

Let me try to tell you what this meant to me. I was awake in the night, two and a half years ago, wondering what in the world I was going to do with my life. I realized that teaching was all I could see myself doing career-wise. I had discovered how much I loved literature that semester. And I couldn't imagine anything better than being able to stay immersed in it all my life, and passing on that love to other people. That was what I wanted to do with a teaching career: inspire others to want to find the beauty I had found - show people the possibilities and the richness there.

When my headmaster told me that news, my cup was full! THAT is why I had become a teacher. And I realized in that moment, very concretely, that that vision I'd had was being realized. What an amazing moment!

9 comments:

KJ said...

Hurray for YOU! And Hurray for Jared! :) I'm so happy for you and I'm so glad you have such an amazing ability to pass the love of literature on to others! Keep up the good work.

ljm said...

Wow, Andrea. Grandpa M would be proud!

I am happy for you...being so sure of yourself is a rare gift. Hopefully that helps when the work load gets overwhelming.

Mrs. RF said...

I rejoice with you! What a great job you have! God is good! Blessings on you as you continue to share your love of literature.

Kate said...

Andrea dear I am SO HAPPY for you! God is so good, and you are COOL!

What a wonderful morale booster!

redsoxwinthisyear said...

That's cool. Keep up the good work, teach.

Linds said...

Drewey Fern - that's so amazing! HURRAY FOR YOU!

lis said...

:O)!

Booker said...

Congrats! Many people the world over go their whole life without getting that kind of fulfillment/happiness from their job[thankfully I am not in that group :-)].

I'd say you were blessed indeed...

TripleNine said...

I just came from chad's site, and wow what a difference (between students, not teachers). Hurrah for you and for good literature.