Friday, December 29, 2006

Teaching High School

Every once in awhile one of the other teachers at my school will say something about the high school in an ever-so-slightly negative tone of voice. You know, like they're being tolerated as a necessary evil, since that's what happens to their adorable students after the passage of years.

Well, blah. I happen to prefer them that way!

They will make little comments about not wanting to ever deal with them, and about how younger kids are so much better to teach, and how you can keep your high school students.

WELL THANK YOU, I WILL!

I am tempted to retort that I don't want to be caught babysitting all blooming day long - cutting out paper dolls and reading "The Dog Who Liked Lollipops." I want to actually travel the golden realms of ideas - discussing the human condition and the possibilities of transcendence, reading the masters, teaching students how to THINK. That is where satisfaction in the teaching world lies!

Of course, I never tell my fellow teachers this. I just think "good! I'm glad you like teaching pipsqueaks so that I can have the real students!" And then I come and vent in blog-land.

Now this is not to belittle all of you with young children that need educating, of course. That is where it all begins, and has moments of great excitement as well! I'm just reacting against countless barbed comments and therefore (as is my wont) jumping rapidly into the opposite ditch:)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

HIGH SCHOOLERS ROCK!!!!

:)

Anonymous said...

Even me, Derrick? <:o

Anonymous said...

Drewey, I feel the same way--except from a highschooler's point of view!

I've decided that if I ever decided to teach, it would have to be high school age. The "more adult" interaction (even if some of them are "twerps" they are still-hopefully-better than a six year old's behavior.)seems more doable than that with younger kids.

drewey fern said...

Aaron and Cara I would LOVE to teach students like you!!! DJ on the other hand... (hee hee hee, just kidding)

Anonymous said...

yay for high school! Horray for the love of learning being passed on! If I ever decided to teach it would definitely by high school (or adult education).

Linds said...

Katie dearest, not to deter you, but adult education is not much different than elementary school... they just use bigger chairs!

redsoxwinthisyear said...

High schoolers are far superior, even if their intellectual prowess isn't all that it's billed to be. Of course, in comparison to fifth graders it probably is. And if their opinions of themselves count for anything, then they are smarter than any teacher they've ever met! :-)

Another possible retort: At least high school students don't break down and cry all the time, as emotional seventh graders are wont to do (exceptions to the rule notwithstanding)! How messy and unpleasant is that?

And if that doesn't work: high schoolers have more interesting social lives to gossip about, or at least to eavesdrop in on gossip about. Ok, maybe that's not as good a reason...

Anonymous said...

HAPPY 2007!!!!!

(RedSoxetc... I'm shocked!)

Anonymous said...

Stan and I were perusing the links page and he reached out and touched the mouse and chose YOUR page. Hope you feel properly complimented!

drewey fern said...

Stan, thank you! You have won my undying friendship! :)