Saturday, January 06, 2007

And God said unto her: You need to be more like Hamlet

So I had this revelation over Christmas break (two weeks off school has the amazing effect of allowing revelations, since your brain can wander over more than lesson plans and classroom management - ooo, funny story about that - I'll put it at the end of the post...): I realized that I need to be more like Hamlet. I'm not suggesting that I need to become a melancholic who analyzes everything thoroughly, is very depressed, and speaks in incredibly eloquent, meaningful, and iambic pentameter-filled soliloquies. But I am suggesting that I need to arrive at the place in which Hamlet arrived by the end of the play (Oh, wait, not the end of the play... Let us say the last act of the play!).

After extraordinary personal struggles, and questions of life and death and God, and then after a soul-searching experience in which he deals with man's mortality, Hamlet finally arrives at this truth: "There's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all..." In other words, I cannot control my life or death, that is God's province. And He has it perfectly planned out. It is just my job to be ready for, and to accept, whatever He brings to me.

Over Christmas I realized that sometimes I am thrown for a complete loop if something doesn't work out the way I'd been planning. I ran into a big hitch with one of my Christmas presents, and was practically non-functional for hours because I was so distressed by it. And later I thought of Hamlet and realized that I can accept those annoying things as something that God allowed to happen for a reason. And He is good! Therefore, I don't need to go into tailspins at some little set-back. I can accept things at His hand. Where is the trust being worked out in my life if I think good things are from God but bad things are some mistake? Trust is believing that He is good in every situation, that He has a plan and reason in every situation, that His love is in every situation.

And I need to learn that lesson on the little things (like a glitch in a Christmas present), so that I'm ready for the bigger set-backs. God is good... ALL the time.

Okay, now about that funny story. I'm afraid it might have been a "had-to-be-there" (and not only that, but maybe also a "had-to-be-me-while-you-were-there" moment) but I'm just going to tell it anyway. We were in staff devotions, in which we've been talking about worldviews, and philosophies of education. My headmaster was making an important point about classical education, and about how it doesn't agree with modern philosophies about teaching methods. He expostulated on how, for us, modern methods classes are a waste of time, and he asked, "I mean, really, how many methods courses have you guys taken?!" While I saw eye-rolls and hand-gestures that indicated an infinite number of education courses, I wanted to burst out "NONE! Hee hee hee - the joke's on you guys for hiring someone who has NO CLUE!" I don't know that the joke would have gone over, though. I kept it to myself, in any case. So much of my amusement at the devotions-table is private. Sigh. It's almost a waste. But it makes me laugh on the inside, so I guess that's not a waste. Hurrah for laughing, whether inside or out!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

probably a good thing you kept that little bit of info inside :-)

good post...

Anonymous said...

Great title, GREAT POST! I appreciate this SO MUCH. I feel like God has been working a little bit on me in similar ways...My angle is that He is telling me not to be such a whiner. Toughen up etc. To loosely paraphrase Job: "Shall we accept good from God and not adversity?"

Brenda Jo said...

You don't need to add theory to your terrific methodology!

melrandall said...

Great post!

And in those moments of private glee, remember what a wise man (not Hamlet, but close) once said: "Laughter is like a shower for the soul."

Anonymous said...

Good point, Drewey - perhaps I should focus on God's timing instead of the momentary panic that I had a few weeks ago that I had turned manic depressive overnight!

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Guess I'm messed up for life, with all those methodology classes! :-)

Actually, I have only taken a handful of education courses, just enough to pass the bar that allows me a state credential in teaching. Not that the credential is an indication of competence, mind you...