I would like to celebrate the birthday of Rudolph Bing, born in 1902, and opera manager of the NY Metropolitan Opera. His was a rich life - or at least a loud one. He had strong ear drums. And he liked music. Have a wonderful day in Heaven, Rudolph! (I assume he must be in Heaven since he's an opera lover. I kind of assume all those who wrote something beautiful ended up there, and since he saw to it that beautiful music was performed, he probably slipped in too. How's that for sound doctrine?!)
Also I would like to bring to everyone's attention that on this day in 1954 the coldest temperature in the history of Greenland was reported: -87 degrees F (hey! how do you make a degrees sign with a keyboard?!). So no complaints that today wasn't in the SIXTIES like Saturday was. (OY VAY!)
Way to go Steve D'Innocenzo for scoring 3 hockey goals in 12 seconds in a Massachusetts high school game in 1982. The opposing goalie must have been deep in contemplation of something like metaphysical poetry (kind of like my Brit Lit class today) to have been so out of it.
Today is also the 51st anniversary of the first appearance of "Dear Abby" in the newspaper. In honor of that day, I leave you all with this advice: if your friend gives you plants to take care of try to remember to water them at least once. If you forget, pull off all of the brown leaves before they return.
And, lastly, happy Feast of St. Adrian to all you Roman Catholics out there.
8 comments:
What a great post!
"He had strong ear drums." ?? Can you quantify that? I mean, how does one know? How do my ear drums stack up?
I think The Mediocre Ear Drums would be a great name for a rock band.
Fern! You are so random! What were you doing: reading Diane's trivia-a-day calendar?
And Brandon: You are hilarious!
And to add my own interesting fact to this post: Our cousin Ben was born on the same day J.R.R. Tolkien was except JRR was born in 1892 -- I had no idea he was that old!
whew, for a second I thought this was going to be a post about Bing Crosby, and I was cringing...
I wonder where Steve D'Innocenzo (what a cool name) is today, and if he realizes how famous he is.
And Brandon, I completely agree.
I thought it was going to be about Bing Crosby too - and I was disappointed it WASN'T! But it was a very interesting spattering of trivia nonetheless.
And: HA HA HA! "...sound doctrine..." !!! What a great pun!
Future Trivial Pursuit Question: "What hip-hop mogul-diva first played for the Mediocre Ear Drums?"
Rats! I was going to say something about your wonderful pun, but Claire beat me to it. Instead I'll just compliment your wonderful logic: it's spot-on. :)
Wow! It's still over 32° outside! At least that's an upgrade/downgrade from 65°...
°CLICK HERE°
Andrea, my dear, would you mind if I submitted your Hamlet piece to www.ylcf.org? Methinks the girls would love it. (I did!)
Hee hee - everyone is so funny:)
Brandywine: I'm assuming he must have had strong eardrums if they weren't shattered by constant high E's and stuff... Just a little deduction on my part. Step aside Poirot.
Cool fact, KJ!
Ha ha - the pun was not intended. I wish it had been!
Thanks for your help Aaron!
And Lis, I'd be honored to have it used! I just hope no serious Hamlet scholar reads it and finds fault... But hey, I can defend myself! :)
Post a Comment