Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Two Wicked Happy School Things

#1. For the first time in my schooling career, I had one of my very own students accepted to college!!! It was so exciting. I'm ever so proud. And I was really happy because he told me the whole blow-by-blow account of seeing the letter and opening it, and somehow skipping the "congratulations" part, and shaking as he read through trying to figure out if this letter was a yes or a no:) He was unusually verbose about it, which made my day. He was so obviously happy about it!

#2. One of my students who left to go back to public school just called me, and we talked for almost 45 minutes! THAT was a day-maker! She told me all about her new school, and wanted to hear all the news from mine. She is reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight at her new school, which we read back in the fall! I couldn't believe it! "Miss Murray," she exclaimed. "This teacher got it all wrong! And she isn't even pointing out the deeper meaning!" I exclaimed, "Oh no! What if I got it all wrong!" But then I was happy when she started talking about the deeper meaning part. And she told me that she answered one of the questions the teacher asked, and the teacher was thrilled! She must be such a bright spot in that poor teacher's existence:)

7 comments:

KJ said...

Hurray!! I'm so happy for your Happy Moments! Congrats to J.... (I'm assuming it's him) and way to go YOU for doing such a great job preparing the other student to shine in the public school English class :)

ljm said...

Now, the question is, how do you pronounce Gawain? Keith and I both learned it differently.

drewey fern said...

An excellent question! I pronounced it GAH-wane, or perhaps GOW-ane. How else is it pronounced?

Booker said...

I always pronounced it Guh-wain myself...

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Hooray for happy school moments! Hearing that your students get into college is a good thing. Kind of helps to alleviate any worries that you may have messed them up for life and all that... (I can only hope I haven't messed my students up, especially during my first year. Ay yay yay...)

Anonymous said...

Don't be so quick to assume you're the wrong one if you and the public school teacher differ in your interpretations!

The fact that you are coming from a solid Christian worldview automatically gives you a serious edge when it comes to interpreting medieval literature accurately, as opposed to viewing it with some fuzzy postmodern lens.

So there!

:)

Queen Ann said...

oh, that's sooo wonderful!! I'm glad everything is going well for you!