Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Stuff

Now that Aaron's blog list thingy seems to be a bit on the blink (is it just me?) I have reverted to the old-fashioned way of clicking my way down the favorites list. I kind of forgot how much fun the anticipation can be. Did they update? Yes? No? What will it be? YES!!!!!! (or the opposite). My favorite posts this time through had to be KJ's and Brandon's. Good job, guys:)

Last night was PTF (Parent Teacher Fellowship) meeting at school, which means I spent the entire day on the island. Five of us teachers went out to eat, and we got this waiter with zero sense of humor beyond calling us all "dear." Unfortunately I didn't pick up on the fact that he had no sense of humor until it was a bit too late.
Me: Can we get separate checks?
Him: No. (Instantly, and with a terribly straight face)
Me: (Knowing that people who say "no" that quickly and solemnly, without any pity, are always joking) Hahahaha, PLEASE?!
Him: No. We don't do that.
Me: Oh. (Embarrassed attempts at covering up the fact that he ought to have been joking)

While dining, the five of us, somehow, got onto the subject of background checks for teaching. It turns out that two of the group had never had to have them done! Then one of the teachers observed that the three of us who'd had to have them lived off the island! I'm telling you, this island mentality is uncanny... All those from off the island are instantly suspect! :)

Lastly, if anyone didn't see John L's comment on my Excelsior poem post, check it out - it's oh so funny!

5 comments:

Booker said...

nope, its not just you. The feeds seem to be on the fritz, for some reason...

KJ said...

Wow! I'm so honored... one of your favorite posts? Maybe because hardly anyone else posted.... but I won't dwell on that fact, and instead glory in my honor :)

Unknown said...

Great post Andrea. With the moving in with a roommate thing I found an article that stated "know your roommate have a background check done" I suggested that we do that just out of pure fun because we both work that the Police Department and had a dozon done on us to work there.
But it is not just the people on the island that are suspects. work at a Police Department and you will come to find out that everyone are suspect.. My mom said that I used to be nice till I started working there now I am mean and think negative in very thing till I found out the truth. I love and miss you

brandywine said...

Beware the humor-impaired person!!! They can zap the laughs out of even the best of jokes.

I doesn't bother me if someone doesn't find something or another funny, but when they don't even comprehend that humor is involved...why, that really gets my dander up, which is not actually true, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity to use the word 'dander.'

Booker said...

have you seen what Aaron has done to the Links page? He's a genius!