This quote was on the front cover of the program for Dr. Delasanta’s funeral. I love it, and want to share it here.
“We give them back to You, O God, who gave them to us. Yet, as you did not lose them in giving, so we do not lose them by their return. What You give, O Lover of souls, You do not take away, for what is Yours is ours also if we are Yours. Life is eternal, love is immortal, death is only an horizon, and an horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight. Lift us up, O Lord, that we may see further; cleanse our eyes that we may see more clearly; draw us closer to Yourself that we may be nearer to our loved ones who are with You. And while You prepare a place for us, prepare us also for that happy place, that where You are we may also be for evermore. Amen.”
Beautiful, is it not? I was blessed by the emphasis placed on eternal life and reunion throughout the funeral service. I wasn’t sure how those things are handled in Catholic services, but evidently they are central. I’m so thankful that it is the truth!
2 comments:
I found a card in Toadstool ( how I miss that blessed store) once that had part of that quote- it started with life is eternal, love is immortal...and ended with the part about the horizon/limit of our sight. I promptly bought up every single card of its kind- of which there were only about three- because it was very timely and beautiful...I'm glad to know the more complete context. Do you have the author's name?
Yes, Claire, I remember you (or Karena?) sharing that - and what a blessing that was. The quote wasn't attributed on the program, but when I googled it, the 19th century author Rossiter Worthington Raymond came up. I don't know much about him... but he had some good things to say, obviously!
Post a Comment