Yesterday I watched the Masters (golf tournament) with Grandpa and Jeannette. It was so much fun! I actually worked on lesson plans and slept during most of it - but I was there in the room, and I really enjoyed it. Golf can actually be interesting, believe it or not! Especially with such good company.
Anyway, I was basically going for Tiger Woods because he was the only one I really knew much about, and Grandpa and Jeannette were rooting him on. He was doing well, made some great shots and stuff, but he was behind this other guy named Zach Johnson. Soon it became clear that Johnson was the guy to beat. He was young, and ranked 57th in the world (or country - I'm not sure which!). He finished the 18th hole, and was interviewed by the little interviewer guy. He gave a great interview, complete with talking about Easter and Jesus! That was pretty awesome. And then it showed his wife and little three month old baby. So sweet.
Then the shot switched back to Tiger Woods, who hadn't finished yet. The announcer was talking about what he'd need to do to win. And now comes the moment of which I'm writing, so pay attention. Jeannette said she hoped Tiger would do well, but that he wouldn't beat Johnson.
I was intrigued. We'd all been going for Tiger a minute before, but that interview had changed all of our minds! Now we wanted Johnson to take it. And what had made the difference? That moment where he was more than just some guy on tv - he was a person. It was the personal touch that made us all switch allegiance to him! I thought that was so interesting.
It makes me think about my American Literature class, and how Dr. Barbour brought out the two schools of thought through Am Lit history. On one hand you have Franklin and Emerson with their ideas of self-reliance and the autonomous man. On the other hand you have Cooper and Melville with the firm belief that "We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow man." Melville's very idea of salvation included fellowship between men. Fascinating!
I lean toward the Cooper/Melville school and not the Franklin/Emerson school, in case you were wondering:) We do need each other! We need others for fellowship, but also to keep us on the right track spiritually, mentally, emotionally... And we are blessed, in this fellowship, with a network of people who love us and whom we love. I'm so thankful!
And all that from a simple comment during a golf game...
4 comments:
Wow..all that from a moment in a golf game. We too enjoyed those last few holes, and were so blessed by Zach's comments at the end...and, for once, glad that Tiger didn't win.
... and to think that it all comes back to literature... I love you! Good insight, and I'm thankful too, for such an awesome network of friends!
if you fall asleep during it, you can't truly be enjoying it.
At least, that is MY philosophy :-)
I can't wait to watch The Greatest Game Ever Played with you! Yee-haw!
Love,
me
Post a Comment