Monday, August 27, 2007

Well, I Liked THIS Monday!

So far I'm doing really well on my new resolve to like Mondays more. (By the way, I think the winning reason for liking Mondays came from Chad, with his 24 argument...) One Monday has happened since that resolve, and I liked it. Alright! One for one.

Sunday night wasn't so hot - I had a sudden, unexplainable reaction against going back to school! I felt like the person who marries in haste and repents at leisure. My infatuation with teaching was over and now it was time for the long, slow, hard grind. Nice, eh? Then I realized it was 1am (or so) and that one should NEVER take oneself seriously at that hour. I think it was just the tired, to-be-expected reaction to the thought of change and, um, work. Definitely not to be taken seriously.

Sure enough, I woke up excited to go back to school! And as I drove my (packed-to-the-gills) car back to RI, it felt so right (and we always go by what feels right, as we know). I was going back to do what I was born to do. Hurrah! I LOVE TEACHING!

And it's a good thing, too, because tomorrow begins the most severe test of love-for-teaching, known as "Teacher Training" (or: Long Hours of Boredom Punctuated by Severe Feelings of Guilt and Inadequacy). Fun times! But actually, even my courage for teacher training is good. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and getting re-adjusted. And decorating my room. And buying a new grade book. And meeting new students at Thursday's open house. And chalk. And writing out my own copy of this year's schedule. And teasing my fellow Room 3 teacher about Shakespeare. And going over the Newport Bridge. And new shades on my windows that go up and down. And sports talk radio. And getting to know the new second grade teacher. And eating lunch in the teachers' lounge. And making practice speeches to myself in preparation for the first day of school.

I LOVE TEACHING!

3 comments:

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Ha ha. You seriously PRACTICE your opening day speeches? That's really funny. Sounds like a certain sibling of yours I know who would practice his sermons before hand.

Actually, I shouldn't laugh too hard. I will probably write some of my comments out. And mentally go over them a lot. But I don't anticipate anything like a mirror experience or an audible practice session!

KJ said...

Woohoo! I'm happy for you! Trust it all goes well and you have another splendid new year :)

drewey fern said...

Hee hee hee - okay, maybe "practice" was too strong a word. I meant more of a mental go-over and some notes:)