Sunday, November 18, 2007

Time for a Post!

Good grief - I've almost stooped to Craig-like proportions here. Quick! Update!

Today my fourth grade teacher came to church. It was a fascinating experience. It's amazing how your perspective can change in 17 years... I don't remember why she was such a good teacher - I just know that she stands out in my memory as one of my absolute favorites. But Mama knew (and expressed) what it was - her control of the classroom, her awareness of each student as an individual, her adeptness at discerning the needs of her students, etc. I can see what Mama's talking about now, but then all I knew was that I loved her. That's one of the things I love about getting older - being able to see things you never could have seen when you were younger. Brain expansion is an exhilarating thing:)

In other news, I'm enjoying my new students so much! I forgot about that period of building rapport with the new kids, and am having lots of fun with it suddenly. The times I have been enthusiastically jumped-out-at-with-loud-BOOs are becoming more numerous. Usually I have to fake fear, but the other day they reallllly got me. Nothing like some good adrenaline filled rapport building.

Last week we took a whole school field trip to Plymouth, which was pretty cool. I got to ride with one of my student's mothers, and discovered such a sweetie! There's also rapport building along those lines... Last week was also parent teacher conferences, and I found them draining but rewarding. I'm not used to dealing with such grown-up people! But parental connections are so beneficial, and they went really well. Hurrah for supportive parents!

Okay, something has been posted. My job here is done. Happy Thanksgiving soon!

4 comments:

KJ said...

Hahaha - "Craig-like proportions" - thanks for updating! I'm so glad you're hitting it off with your new students and their parents... and if I could figure out how to do it, I'd write something in the manner of that one student (I can't remember his name) of whom you took half an hour trying to find a picture.... love you! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you survived the parent-teacher conferences, and I hope they really went as well as you sound like they did : )

I can't believe we didn't get to go to Plymouth : ( Maybe in the Spring when it's less crowded anyway... Glad you got to enjoy it though.

See you soon!

wideyed said...

She sounds like MY 4th grade teacher! Huzzah for great teachers!

CKS said...

Craig-like proportions??? Andrea, it is improper to speak ill of the dead! (me speaking from my grave here--I'm almost in it, feverishly reading blogs one last time). And at least I make up for it with pages and pages of drivel.