It's on, folks. The crazed rush at the end of the year to make sure I make it through the whole Bible. It's like this every year. I don't think I've ever had a sane last week in December. Why? Why do I do this to myself? Why can't I just stay up in my Bible reading?
It's frequently a few killer weeks in the summer that tip me over the edge into perpetual behind-ness. Somewhere around Girls' Week and Convention time... It fluctuates year by year, of course. Sometimes I do pretty well there, but have a crunched couple of weeks at school or something. In any case, somewhere in the mad rush of living I drop the ball, only to pick it up again in December.
So why bother? you make ask. One year I did give up, I admit. I just read a little every day instead of trying to cram in a book a day or something. But most years the frenzy is worth it. Gretchen contends that I'm missing the point - the point isn't to read it in a year, it's to read a little EVERY DAY and thereby finish in a year. Hm. An excellent point. But I guess I figure if I'm that close, and if I've put that much work in, I might as well finish it up! I mean, I've already read 50 books, I might as well do 15 more! Besides, it's all about finishing what you set out to do. Who wants to leave a job half-finished?
And of course, there's always that great relief of starting off on January 1 having only 1 reading to read instead of 10. It's probably all worth it just for that!
Okay, enough babbling. I've got a bunch of Bible to read! (I'm always at my holiest Dec 31...)
4 comments:
Well, although I will admit I have an excellent point, I also had a number of readings to finish today : ) (Mostly from this week, actually, but I also need to finish up the last few chapters of II Kings) Just thought I'd let you know I wasn't practicing what I so piously preached : )
Well, theoretically yes, but I am mostly sympathetic with the cram-to-get-it-done mentality too (within the realm of reason anyway).
I know exactly what it's like! I actually got a hefty head start on my reading last year, but I fell way behind in the summer (around guys' week for me). I ended up having to read ten pages a day for a couple months, and still had to read the entire book of Revelation today. But I made it!
Happy New Year!
Yay! I made it too:) Happy New Year!
I'm happy to report that so far this year I haven't fallen behind in my Bible reading! Hurrah!
Post a Comment