*I've been reminded recently of the power of words, as two former students, in an out-of-the-blue fashion, thanked me for teaching them. Wow! It makes me want to do the same for my teachers and mentors. I've been floating because of it.
*We've been studying Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" in Classical Literature, so one day I found a huge tarp in the gym and had my students set up a cave and re-enact the allegory. We had such a fun time doing it! It took us about 45 minutes to make the set and 10 minutes to act out, but hey, at least they won't be forgetting the allegory any time soon.
*Growing up at Fairwood we kids would go through phases in our choice of entertainment. One stage was ping-pong and we played and played and played. Another was volleyball with a beach ball. Another Monopoly. And then there were our favorite outdoor games like Run Sheep Run and Chipmunks. It turns out I'm going through my second childhood apparently, because I'm starting to do the phases thing again at my friend's house after school. Last semester it was chess - we played so many games! And this semester the craze is Rook. And when I say craze I'm not exaggerating too much - we played until 11pm on a school night, gambling on a snow day. As I pulled in at my apartment about about quarter of 12 I wondering what on earth I'd been thinking, but when I got the call the next morning that school was indeed cancelled I realized the joy of the successful gambler. No wonder people get addicted...
*When you're living in an apartment with all girls, sometimes you have to do those mechanical things that your Dad always did at home. I have participated in the smaller things like taking out the trash, but also bigger things like figuring out what was wrong with the furnace (with Melissa) and unclogging the drain in the sink. Woo woo! Quite the feeling of empowerment.
*It is official: my first love in literature is definitely British Literature. And the incredible thing is that so far the classes I've taught have loved it too. This year I have five juniors and seniors taking it, and on more than one occasion I've heard them quote Hamlet in the course of conversation. Yesssssss.
*My car is SO dirty right now.
*We have started the junior/senior thesis work in earnest in Rhetoric class. One of my students is going to be researching the effects of Rock n' Roll. He didn't have his library card with him on the day we were searching library books online, so I let him use my card. Consequently I've been having to pick the books up at the library as they come in. Yesterday I marched into the library in a full ankle-length skirt, conservative coat and scarf, and hair in two french braids, and walked out with this huge stack of books on Rock. Yeah. There was an interesting juxtaposition. It's like the time my loaner car had a huge Harley Davidson sticker on the back and I wondered what people thought seeing me get out of the car... Probably people really don't think anything because they're too busy living their own lives. But still, it was cause for my own internal amusement.
*Speaking of amusement, my best friend on the teaching staff and I both have a bit of a problem with punctuality when it comes to morning devotions with the staff. We joke about being relieved when the other one is later because we don't look so bad. Yesterday we pulled in about the same time, and she caught my eye as we got out of our cars and took off running for the door. She made my official list that I've started on which I record who makes me laugh first every day:) I started the list when one of my students asked me if I ever don't laugh...
*Sad news: I don't think I can be a CTU agent. Jack Bauer often holds his flashlight between his teeth when he needs both hands, and when I hold things between my teeth I pull my tongue way back and it threatens to trigger my gag reflex. Bummer.
*We are reading the BEST BOOK in 7/8 Literature: The Next Fine Day by Elizabeth Yates. It has sparked amazing conversations about mutability, continuity, whether there are absolute standards for judging beauty, tradition and heritage, the importance of history, and whether it is truly "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." Woooo! I highly recommend the story to all!
*Now I want to go check my email, so I'll sign off until next time...
*...but just want to add that I love Claire! Thanks for the encouragement to post again; this was fun:)
5 comments:
I love Claire, too! It's SO GOOD to have you "back!" I greatly enjoyed hearing the tidbits!
Delightful! So glad to have you back.
Query: Is there anyone in New England whose car is NOT dirty right now?
I just saw the Yates book at the library the other day and wondered if it was worth reading. Thanks for the recommendation!
Oh, AAAAAAAndrea! Reading this was almost as good as visiting with you - so refreshing! And funny! It filled the Andrea shaped void I'd been feeling in my heart! And the cherry on top was the last part! It was like a mighty punch of joy! You've made my day! ( I know, too many exclamation points here...) Well, ( she continued on in un-exclaiming tones), I think inspiration is running in a circle these days...Gretchen prompted me to write, I prompted you...and on it goes... It's like unofficial tagging...( So now I've replaced ellipses for the exclamation points.) ( Hmmm.)
Congratulations on your students quoting Hamlet. You have had an impact indeed!
Post a Comment