Saturday, November 28, 2009

Do I Believe this or Don't I?

Recently I have been so blessed in considering the trustworthiness of God. I can trust Him with everything, whether small (like a minor crisis making me late for school) or big (like my future, or, sometimes even more worrisome, the futures of loved ones). It all comes down to a simple matter of faith: do I believe that God is truly in control, or don't I?

I guess I'm kind of having a Renaissance in my soul on the whole issue of applying faith to everyday life. It's so easy to see a problem and instantly start thinking about what should happen or what I can do. But really I need to go straight to God and then see the problem from His perspective.

And I think this is what the Bible is talking about when it says "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee." If I am really keeping my mind on Him I will not get completely bent out of shape if my weekend plans fall through. They fell through? Well so what? Apparently God had something better in mind. Or even if the plans fell through wrongly, didn't God promise to work all things together for good?

Sometimes I want to mull things over, because they seem like they're big enough to warrant mulling. I should feel an amount of depression directly proportional to the magnitude of the disaster. But that's not how God intends me to face life. I am to be abiding in Him, and He is love, and perfect love casts out fear.

I am to live in that "neither know we what to do, but our eyes are on You" kind of way. Looking to Him is what gives me the proper perspective on things.

These things have been percolating in my mind for awhile, and I was so delighted recently when, frustrated to the limit with one of my classes, and on the verge of complaining to a sympathetic source, I felt checked and reminded to pray instead. And what a wonderful day it ended up being.

God knows, He's in control, and He doesn't expect us to carry everything and figure it out for ourselves. We, like children, can simply look trustingly to Him for the answer, with an assurance that He will work everything exactly according to His GOOD will.

I believe it!

2 comments:

drewey fern said...

Ahhhhh, human nature! I had just finished reading over this post, when I felt that tightening inside as my mind went back to an area of stress in my life. NO! BACK! I'm trusting God on this! :)

I guess it's easier to trust God than it is to trust other people to do what He wants them to do. But isn't God big enough to handle that? He's not going to allow His plan to be derailed... And if He can lead me, He can lead anyone!

gretchen said...

Hey, we've been thinking the same thoughts! Only the way I've been thinking about it is "Be still, and know that I am God."

And like you, I've been thinking about how it applies in so many areas, not just a few obvious ones.

Feeling those knots in my stomach? Wait! God is in control: He KNOWS. He CARES. He is ABLE.

Phew! Just can't get enough of that. Thanks for a good reminder!