Friday, November 20, 2009

Choir Ladies

So I'm starting to really love some of the women I sing with in my community chorus. They are treasures!

First of all, there's Claire, a very elderly woman whose husband passed away last year. We sat next to each other the other week, and she started talking about the travels she and her husband had gone on through the years. They went all over the place! We had a connecting moment talking about how you can feel such a strong connection with the land your forebears came from. Suddenly I realized this was one of those "The Next Fine Day" kindred spirits, and I brought her a copy of the book the next week. This week she told me she had started the book and was really enjoying it. I knew it!

Then there's Mary. I'm pretty sure she has to be a Christian. She has that spirit about her. She was also a teacher for many years! I feel like she understands it all. In our pre-singing backrubs (best part of rehearsals!) she began rubbing my back and exclaimed, "Uh oh! Teacher's back." I was mystified until she explained it was tight. She definitely gets it.

Another of my favorites is Ada. She joked, when I was first meeting her last year, that I could remember her name by the little rhyme "Ada Potatah," which is what they used to call her in school. Sure enough, I've never forgotten her name! She is a little less of the sweet old lady, a little more of the spunky old lady (I don't think she's really all that old, but you know...). She reminds me of one of my very favorite college professors (Curren, Gretchen) so I love her.

And lastly, and one of the best, is... um... I don't remember her name. Hm. Well anyway, I love her! Her husband was a PC grad, so we talk PC every once in awhile. Love that. She's a little tougher of a lady, and doesn't mind rejoicing aloud when the director ends up cutting the rehearsal short. But she's not rude - she doesn't let too many people hear the joy, especially not the director. She is a polished sort of rough, if that makes sense. Anyway, she's down to earth, with a great sense of humor.

Who knew that choir would provide such great people to interact with! I like this island more and more...

1 comment:

gretchen said...

Hurray for the joys of serendipitous social contact!

So happy you have these people coming into and enriching your world on the side, so to speak -- and happy for them that you have come into theirs!