Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Look out World...

Here I come! I had my first real interview today. For some reason after talking to the principal on the phone I got the impression that he was without a sense of humor. This did not bode well for interview success. Au Contraire! He was very funny, and he (this is the important part) thought I was funny, too! And so my bid for filling the English teacher position began.

We began with some doctrinal issues. He asked me what my doctrinal bent was. Ummmm - the Bible?? I had to admit I wasn't all that up on various doctrinal positions. Then he asked if I was more like the Arminians, the Calvinists... Ah! I knew one thing about Calvinists - predestination. So I explained our unique both/and stance in a way that made him laugh and then relieve me by saying that was scriptural. Well, ya! He gave up on the big word thing, and began asking me things like whether I believed Jesus was fully God. Ah - now there was something I could answer! He was a little nervous about the whole Catholic college thing, but I soothed his fears by assuring him I didn't think the Pope was infallible and such. But we did agree that he was a good man.

We moved on to talking about the school itself, its philosophy of education, and its God-centered world view. The more he talked the more excited I became. This was sounding more and more like the place for me!

I had to fake it a bit when it came to the discipline aspect of things, and was happy to hear that the main discipline tactic is to send kids to the principle. Hurrah! No need for me to yell and hit the desk with a ruler and stuff!

And then he began talking about their dire need for an English teacher to cover the upper grades (7-10). I was very happy to hear that, since the web site listed only grades K-8. [Of course, I might have guessed that their web site might not be all that accurate. That morning I had arrived at the location specified on their site only to find there was no sign of any school for blocks around. I called the school and found out they had moved to the next town over! Thank goodness for Danny's sound advice to leave a large cushion of time - I used 40 of the 45 minutes extra that I had allowed.] He also, in a hopeful sort of a way, mentioned their need for a History teacher! So I might be doing some double duty...

By the time the interview was closing up, the principal was talking about how I would be a great asset to the school, and I was exclaiming about how I was more enthusiastic than ever about teaching there.

He'll be calling in a couple of days in order to set up an interview with the three-man board (gulp).

Praise the Lord for directing me to that school, and for giving me such a good interview!

9 comments:

Linds said...

Hurray & biggest congrats on the first interview down, and ONE TO GO! :)

Anonymous said...

Great job Andrea! Interviews are
sooo scary. Sounds like it might
be the place for you!

Anonymous said...

Contrats Andrea, I am so happy for you. I hate interviews.. The are the worse but it sounds like yours went great and I am sure the next one will be also.. I will be praying for you

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! Sounds like a huge success and a great fit for you! Let me know if they need a music teacher... Just a couple years under our belts and we'll be all set to start our own school like we've talked about: You--English, Me--Music, Melissa--Art, Diane--Special Ed, Claire/Chad--History, Fritha--Science...hmmm, maybe Lindsay could teach math??? (hahahahahaha)

Kate said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!! I only got your e-mail a few moments ago (8:52 am on Wednesday) so I prayed even though I knew it was really over. I am so HAPPPYYYYY!!!! I am so proud of you! What fun! Look at all those exlamation points!! skajdfpwoeirfa fisdjflsfhs!

Kate said...

yes, even exclamation points.

Claire said...

Aquidneck, huh? Nothing like Rhode Island for weird names. My cousin got married in Quidnessett, Rhode Island. Anyway- congratulations on a great interview! I am now officially jumping on the bandwagon of excitement!!

Booker said...

goodluck and hope it all works out satisfactorily...

TripleNine said...

Ditto to all the joyous hurrahs! Hope everything works out perfectly.