Friday, October 21, 2005

Changes...

Gasp! It has happened to me! I have become the teacher who gets the "new student!" I've never thought about the whole new student concept from a teacher's perspective before. I've thought of the class, and I've thought of the student. But the teacher?

Yesterday I got the teacher's angle. The new student is one who'd been at the school before. I knew this because we prayed for him a few weeks ago. We prayed for him because he was missing for several days. It turns out he'd run away from home.

So here I am in the teacher's lounge (me? in the teacher's lounge? It's still hard to believe sometimes) hearing the headmaster say he was coming to our school. And the teacher next to me lets out this heart-felt "Ohhh nooooooo," in a long and plaintive kind of way.

GREAT!

But the headmaster told us that there had been a significant change of heart - one that had been verified by multiple sources. And said headmaster is very determined that no undermining influence get into the student body, so I knew he'd taken the process seriously.

Today the new kid showed up. And he was as sweet as can be - full of manners and a helpful and willing attitude. Hurrah! He has somebody's eyes, but I can't quite figure out whose. I'll try to remember to keep you posted.

In the first class I made him laugh (a sure sign of compatibility in the classroom) in that perfect progression: the look of surprise, then disbelief, followed by laughter that causes the head to go right down on the desk. Yes! I had him.

So my first "new student" experience has been a positive one. Thank the Lord!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Ms Fern. From reading some of what you've written it is clear that you love your students very much. Quiet spoken truth, is it not priceless. I would be very glad to have you for a teacher.

Booker said...

He has somebody's eyes? I know you want to believe he has changed and all, but blatant stealing like that just can't be ignored. He really needs to return them :)

Glad it all worked out. PTL...

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Challenge number 2 with new students: how do you get them to catch up with what you've done if you're in the middle of a unit, and how do you grade them for the marking period?

I got two new students on the same day this last week. But I guess that's more normal for a school my size. Glad you won the new guy over so quickly.

Laughter said...

Aww, Fern, you wouldn't mind if I came and was a new student, would you? Or at least audit your classes. I'm soooo curious to see you in action.

Marie said...

yeah! Awesome. Connection, very important.... I wonder what the change was....could be a Jesus heart transplant huh? If not we can pray for one:)